Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Snow Storm Grayson

Let me start this blog by saying I am not a meteorologist nor do I pretend to be. I am just a math teacher that is fascinated with weather and a teacher who loves her snow days. I watch multiple weather forecasts and read everything I can about weather. These blog posts are based on everything I have read and contain all the snow maps from as many different sources as I can find. Now on to the latest about tomorrows expected snow...

The snow storm due to arrive early tomorrow morning has been named Grayson.  The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm warning for our area.

  • Winter Storm Warning indicates that heavy snow of at least 6 inches in 12 hours, or at least 8 inches in 24 hours, is expected. It can also be issued if sleet accumulation will be at least half an inch. 

The NWS has also issued a blizzard warning for the area just to our east and south.

Blizzard Warning indicates that blizzard conditions (low visibility of less than 1/4 mile due to falling and/or blowing snow, and winds at least 35 mph) are expected for at least 3 hours.



This storm is going to be a powerful one. The very cold temperatures and high winds that follow this storm will make it very dangerous. From everything I have read about Grayson and all the weather forecasts I have watched I get the feeling that many of us will lose power and that means losing heat. That makes me very concerned about the pipes freezing and bursting in my house. Guess I will be running the water for the next 24 hours straight.

The snow should start before the morning commute. I have read that there will be times that the snow is falling at 2" per hour. That will make driving a little difficult. The worst of the storm should be over by early evening Thursday. 

Grayson has taken a little bit of a left turn. With the track going a little more towards the west that means some rain for the cape. Rain may keep the snow totals a little lower there. That also means that the snow falling in southern mass (near the rain line) will probably be the heavy wet snow. Most stations have kept the same amounts of snow for this storm. Here are a few







All the maps put us in the area with at least a foot of snow.
After this storm leaves us we have very cold temperatures to deal with. We will have wind chill temperatures as low as 15 below Friday night into Saturday. Stay warm everyone











No comments: